10. Don’t Believe the Stereotypes This CrossFit is a gym filled with big muscled athletes (aka meat heads) grunting and dropping weights every where? Don't fall for it. In fact, every CrossFit box is unique and has an incredible sense of community. Classes are filled with ladies and gentlemen off ALL abilities, ages, and stages of athleticism. The only thing that separates them from you... they walked through the door.
9. Get your Technique Down First Learn the movements first. Proper form and understanding of the WHY behind the importance of form is key to longevity and success in CrossFit. Before you add weights or push the limits, make sure you work with a PVC pipe or light bar to nail down the technique and make it habit.
8. RX isn’t a Must Follow Prescription Not ready to push the prescribed weights or movement standards? That's okay. All movements and weights can be modified to meet your mobility and ability level. In fact, we can help you progress towards RX with a well planned progression as you master modifications.
7. Prioritize Mobility Before Each WOD Focusing on mobility before (and after) each WOD will help keep your muscles SAFE. In addition, mobility will help with your performance. It will ensure that your muscles perform correctly within the muscle chain during your workout. You can't build your house with out laying your foundation first.
6. Keep a Training Log We all begin our journeys somewhere- but recognizing the improvements we've made over time is more difficult. Why? Because it happens as a progression over the period of months and possibly years. By keeping a training log and writing down the times in which we completed our workouts, modifications we made during workouts, and weights used during lifts- we are able to visually see the improvements and gains we have made.
5. Never say Never Stop putting limits on your beliefs of what you can achieve. With dedication, technique, and proper progression- you can achieve anything. Focus on what you WANT, work towards it & in time, NEVER will no longer be a part of your vocabulary. Strength comes from within and with the support of this incredibly community.
4. Be consistent. Be patient. Show up and work. Consistently give 100% effort taking advantage of the opportunity to crush your goals. Understand that the goals you have set for yourself is like a mountain. Every step you accomplish is a reason to be proud. Be patient in the process and keep giving every ounce of effort, every day. With that plan, you WILL TRIUMPH!
3. Ask Questions Unsure if your form is correct? Need a modified movement? Confused about the acronyms AMRAP/HSPU? ASK! There is only one way to succeed and that is with understanding and clarification. No question is a stupid question. Ask away!! (Trust me, your coach will appreciate this awareness!)
2. Do More Burpees We all know that burpees suck. Burpees take strength and conditioning. There will be times you do 20 burpees and feel like you want to cry. As time progresses, so will the strength and conditioning- thus the burpees will eventually suck a bit less.
1. Properly Recover from CrossFit Training Knowing how to repair your muscles from intense training is as important as showing up to the gym. We are all looking for results, and 70% of these results we are looking to earn in the gym come from what we put in our face. Our favorite pre and post workout stack comes from 1st Phorm whose creed is NEVER SETTLE. So stop settling for mediocre results and start improving your muscle stamina, growth and repair. Get your hands on the Basic Training Stack and maximize those results.